The Third G.Gershwin International Music Competition Volunteer Opportunities
April 18 - 30, 2017
April 18 - 30, 2017
- Working hand-in-hand with talented musicians-participants from around the globe.
- Meeting World-famous Professors - Jury Members of the Competition from Royal Academy in London, Paris, Moscow, Juilliard, etc.
- Obtaining free tickets to all rounds of the competition
- Obtaining free tickets to International Masterclasses, held during the competition
- Obtaining discounted tickets to Gershwin Winners Series 2017, held throughout the year
- Complimentary Recordings of the Gershwin Competition the Third G.Gershwin International Music Competition 2017 rounds
- Participation in the Gershwin Competition Lottery with a chance to win exclusive Golden DVD collection of all Gershwin Competitions 2013-2017.
- Inclusion of Volunteer names to the Gershwin Competition Website, and the competition programs.
There are several volunteer opportunities that can be found at the Competition:
- Private room with semi-private bathroom
- If hosting a piano contestant, the host home would have a piano for competitor to practice
- Prepare meals for the competitors (optional)
In order to offer a personal feeling and a great New York experience for our competitors, we are looking for people who are willing to host the competitors in their homes and help care for them for the period of their competition stay.
Volunteer to host competitors in your home
- Ushering for candidates and audience members
- Help provide food for Jury Members, Competitors, or whatever else might be needed
- Participate in organizing receptions and events at competition time as well as throughout the year
We need help with various tasks at the competition venues and around town during the competition period in order to help things run smoothly.
- Ability to host events that can accommodate 40–100 people
- Provide/donate light refreshments and drinks for the fundraising events
- Provide a piano and tuning for the fundraising events
We are constantly fundraising so that we can accomplish all our goals for the competition, including raising the prize money and possibly increasing it in the future. Hosting a private concert in your home is a great way to give to the competition.
Volunteers to host fundraising events
- Transport jury members, competitors, & official guests to & from New York Airports during the Competition. Emphasis on attention to detail,scheduling, desire to welcome international & U.S. guests to the Gershwin Competition.
- Assist in transporting or accompanying jury members & official guests to & from hotels, host families, competition venues, and various events during the Competition.
Airport & In-Town Transportation
- Greet competitors and Jury Members at New York Airports (working in liaison with competition drivers).
- Hand-in and explain their individual schedules.
- Arrange for orientation prior to the start of the Competition.
- Work at the Gershwin Competition Information office to greet competitors, jurors ,local & international guests to at the Competition Venues.
- Share in formation on the Competition, local restaurants, & other interests when needed. (Information booklet will be provided for reference
Gershwin Competition Information Center
- Work with Gershwin Competition Advisory Board & Artistic Director.
- Assist with communication efforts; participate in committee meetings; & help maintain Competition volunteer records.
- Assist with volunteers to provide refreshments for volunteers & staff during Competition.
- Lisiaon Volunteer manager needs to be a self‐starter with communication & organizational skills.
- Begin February 2017 a few times per week. Completed by end of Competition in April.
- Community service hours, Gershwin Golden DVD & possibly college credit will be awarded.
Liaison to Gershwin Competition Volunteer Manager
- Assist volunteer manager and Cliburn staff in all areas of the Competition including lead‐up, load‐in, production, events, and load‐out.
Assistant to Volunteer Manager
- Provide piano accompaniment for the competition contestants during their performance at the competition.
- Provide piano accompaniment at rehearsals prior to the competition rounds: instrumentalists - 10-minutes; vocalists - 15 minutes.
- Obtain and study accompaniment parts at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Gershwin Competition.
We will contact you via email within a few days to schedule any next steps.
Thank you for your time and interest!